Many Benefits for Senior Citizen Pet Owners
Author, Professional Pet Sitting Etc.
Pets improve our health throughout our life, and this is no different when we get older. As we age and near our golden years, many of us recognize the most difficult challenge as the changes in our everyday activities. We’re just not able to do the same things we once did. For example, what was once a quick trip to the grocery store may now be an all-day activity. And walking to the mailbox may feel more like a cardiovascular workout than a light jaunt to the end of the driveway and back.
Luckily, with the proper support system, entering your senior years doesn’t have to be an uncomfortable, lonely, exhausting or nerve-racking process. And, when it comes to support, what better option could there be than a four-legged pet to care for and love, and who will love you unconditionally in return?
So What are the Benefits?
Many older adults find themselves on their own often, looking for someone or something to help occupy their time. Studies have shown people who share their life with a pet enjoy significant health benefits and a pet may even help elderly people live longer, healthier and happier lives than those without pets.
- Provide companionship, helping seniors avoid loneliness and depression;
- Bring structure to the day as they require consistent love and attention;
- Encourage exercise;
- Lower stress levels in pet parents;
- Help increase involvement in social activities and in making new friends; and
- Offer security (yes, even a 12 lb. barking Maltese can make a potential thief think twice!).
There are Some Drawbacks, Too
Okay, so having a pet obviously has its benefits, but what about the drawbacks. If you’re considering welcoming a pet into your life, be sure to weigh the negatives, too.
- Pets can tie you down and may not be a good choice for a senior citizen who is retired and has the freedom and desire to travel. However, many people prefer to bring their pets along on trips and, for those who don’t, there are professional pet sitters available to lend a hand.
- Keeping a pet can be expensive as they require quality food, veterinary care and sometimes emergent care. A pet likely isn’t a good choice for someone living on a limited income.
- Pets are a long-term commitment. Some senior citizens may not want a pet because they worry about the care of the pet in the event they fall ill. Or they may worry about a change in living situation and whether or not the pet will be able to come along. These are valid concerns that should be seriously considered.
Yes, pets are an excellent source of companionship for anyone, young or old. Pets can serve as a support system for seniors who may not have any family or close friends nearby, as long as the -person is able to handle the responsibility that having a pet brings. Our four-legged friends are there when we need them, can sense our emotions, and provide us unconditional love and devotion that anyone, no matter what age, can truly benefit from!
If you liked this article, check out our other articles – Complete List Of Our Article and Videos
About the Owner and Professional Pet Sitting Etc
Dorinne Whynott, is a long time animal professional. She is a successful business owner establishing one of the largest pet sitting companies in New Hampshire since 1990. Click to Read her complete History.
Professional Pet Sitting Etc. is a leading business in the pet care field and continues to grow since 1990. It is an AWARD WINNING business, having been awarded the 2015 Best Pet Sitting , 2015 Best Dog Walker, Business of the Year Awards in 1996, 1997, 2006 and 2010. It boasts 30+ amazing pet sitters on staff, over 3000 clients in 38 cities from Nashua to Concord, NH. Hundreds of satisfied client testimonials can be found on their website and more 5 star reviews on their Facebook page, Google+ page and more. They have sustained an A+ rating with the BBB, A rating with Angie’s List and are unmatched in the Pet Sitting Industry in New Hampshire.
Contact us by phone at 603-888-8088
Pet Sitting NH , Pet Sitting Nashua NH , Pet Care NH, Petsitternh, Petsittersnh, Professional pet sitter, pet sitters, professional pet sitting, pet sitting, pet sitter, professional pet services, professional pet sitters, pro pet sitting, pet sit, pet, puppy sitting
cat sitting, cat sitter, cat sitters, professional cat sitter
dog, dog sitting, professional dog sitter, Dog walking new hampshire, dog sitter, Dog Walking NH, dog walking services, Dog Walker, Dog Walker NH
Professional Pet Sitting Etc Reviews and Testimonials
DW, All rights reserved, copyright 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
This article can not be copied in part or in whole without specific written permission by the Author and Owner.