Flea and Tick
You Need to Be Aware of!
Author, Joelle Schuller, for Professional Pet Sitting Etc.
Do you protect your pet against fleas and ticks? If not, read on to learn the dangers associated with flea and tick infestation! Your pet should be some type of flea and tick prevention plan; it could save his life!
First, let’s start with some tips to keep your pet free of fleas and ticks!
- Proper grooming is essential. Bathing and brushing your dog regularly will help keep infestation at bay. Those pests don’t thrive in soap and water.
- Keep an eye on your pet especially if he spends a lot of time out of doors. Check his fur each time he comes in. A quick brush before he comes in the door is a great option. The sooner you detect the pests, the less likely those pests are to multiply!
- An unhealthy dog is more susceptible to being preyed upon by fleas and ticks. Keep your dog healthy with a proper diet and exercise regime, as well as regular visits to the vet.
- Keep your lawn and shrubs well maintained. Fleas and ticks love to hang around tall grass and wooded areas!
- Wash linens and vacuum any carpets and upholstery that your pet has access too. Empty the vacuum directly after each use and take the debris to the outside trash bin so if there are any fleas or ticks, they are not left inside!
- Talk to the vet about the best prevention plan for your pet. If you are against medicating your pet, discuss alternative/holistic methods with your vet.
Note: Click on each underline to learn more.
Diseases and or ailments caused by fleas:
Tapeworm: causes mild, moderate or severe weight loss, itching/ hot spots
Flea Borne Spotted Fever: lethargy, fatigue, vomiting
Flea Allergy Dermatitis: itching, and chewing of skin and paws which leads to painful and unsightly hot spots
Plague: fever, swollen glands, anorexia due to decreased appetite.
Some ailments and diseases caused by ticks:
Lyme Borreliosis: lethargy, fever, lameness, loss of appetite
Anaplasmosis: acute fever and severely compromised immune system
Babesios: infection to kidney, liver and central nervous system
Ehrilichiosis: weight loss, anemia, fever
Flea and tick infestations are no joke!
They can cause life long damage to your pet and death may persist in some cases.
Remember to speak with your vet about how to keep your pet and home pest free!
About the Owner of Professional Pet Sitting Etc.
Dorinne Whynott, is a long time animal professional. She is a successful business owner establishing one of the largest pet sitting companies in New Hampshire since 1990. Click to Read her complete History.
Professional Pet Sitting Etc. is a leading business in the pet care field and continues to grow since 1990. It boasts 30+ amazing pet sitters on staff, over 3000 clients in 38 cities from Nashua to Concord, NH. Hundreds of satisfied client testimonials can be found on their website and more 5 star reviews on their Facebook page, Google+ page and more. They have sustained an A+ rating with the BBB and are unmatched in the Pet Sitting Industry in New Hampshire.
Click For a Complete List of all of our educational Blogs
Go to Professional Pet Sitting Etc. Website for more information on the best pet sitting company or click on “New Client” to contact us or register for dog walking or pet care.
Contact us by phone at 603-888-8088
Pet Sitting NH , Pet Sitting Nashua NH , Pet Care NH, Petsitternh, Petsittersnh, Professional pet sitter, pet sitters, professional pet sitting, pet sitting, pet sitter, professional pet services, professional pet sitters, pro pet sitting, pet sit, pet, puppy sitting
cat sitting, cat sitter, cat sitters, professional cat sitter
dog, dog sitting, professional dog sitter, Dog walking new hampshire, dog sitter, Dog Walking NH, dog walking services, Dog Walker, Dog Walker NH
All rights reserved, copyright 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
This article can not be copied in part or in whole without specific written permission by the Author/Owner.